During the centuries of Muslim occupation, it was the residence of the Siurana Wali. From the Christian reconquest carried out by Ramon Berenguer IV it is in the hands of the Catalan counties. Later, in 1182, his son Alfons el Cast ceded the castle and the villages of Ascó and Riba-roja to the order of the Temple. The Templars occupied the castle until its dissolution, in 1312. The castle of Ascó also suffered a siege, ordered by King Jaume II who, in 1318, gave it to the order of the Hospital.
This order was present in Ascó until the 19th century, although the castle served as a fortress during the Segadors’ War (1640) and suffered severe destruction. Later, in the war of succession and later with the Carlist wars, the castle was dismantled.